If you're reading this blog, you probably already know that sustainability is an important issue. The advancements made in renewable energy and energy efficiency help us breathe easier (clean air benefits from wind power totaled $7.3 billion in public health savings in 2015, according to the American Wind Energy Association), bring power to remote areas that otherwise would not have access to electricity and preserve the planet's finite resources.
But in case you ever need a little reminder on why these efforts are worth it, we’ve compiled a few of our favorite quotes about the environment, sustainability and making the earth a better place to live.
- "Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs." — Gro Harlem Brundtland
- "You cannot get through a single day without having an impact on the world around you. What you do makes a difference, and you have to decide what kind of difference you want to make." — Jane Goodall
- "Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together…all things connect." — Chief Seattle
- "The ultimate test of man’s conscience may be his willingness to sacrifice something today for future generations whose words of thanks will not be heard." — Gaylord Nelson
- "The environment is where we all meet; where all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share." — Lady Bird Johnson
- "The proper use of science is not to conquer nature but to live in it." — Barry Commoner
- "Nature provides a free lunch, but only if we control our appetites." — William Ruckelshaus
- "Conservation is a state of harmony between men and land." — Aldo Leopold
- "Nature is inexhaustibly sustainable if we care for it. It is our universal responsibility to pass a healthy earth on to future generations." — Sylvia Dolson
- "Anything else you’re interested in is not going to happen if you can’t breathe the air and drink the water. Don’t sit this one out. Do something." — Carl Sagan