Joining the renewable energy workforce is about more than just starting your career. It's about becoming a part of a larger community of people who share your interest in creating cleaner energy sources. Whether you're a pursuing a career in wind energy, in solar technology, or another sector of the renewable energy industry, there are numerous organizations you can get involved with.
Here are eight renewable energy organizations you should know about.
Wind Energy Organizations
- The American Wind Energy Association (AWEA) is the national trade association for the U.S. wind industry. They regularly conduct research, do advocacy work around issues and policies in the industry, and offer a membership program to help connect people within the field.
- The Wind Energy Foundation is a non-profit that aims to bring awareness to the benefits of wind energy. They focus on research and education, promoting campaigns and programs aimed at informing decision makers, the media and the general public.
- The mission of Women of Wind Energy (WoWE) is to promote the education, professional development, and advancement of women in renewable energy. Currently, the wind energy workforce is mostly comprised of male technicians — this organization serves as a support to women who want to break into the industry.
Solar Energy Organizations
- The Solar Energy Industries Association is the national trade association for the U.S. solar industry and works with member companies to champion the use of solar power through advocacy and education. SEIA is also a good source for research and statistics for the industry.
- The Solar Foundation is a non-profit foundation focused on increasing understanding of solar energy. Their programs and areas of focus include research around solar jobs and the economy, educating and training local governments on solar adoption, and leading efforts to bring solar power to public schools in the United States.
Energy Efficiency and CleanTech Organizations
- The Energy Efficiency Business Coalition (EEBC) aims to be a primary source of information, influence and interconnection for the businesses that are involved in efficiency technologies and services. The organization serves as an important resource not only for businesses, but also for individuals looking to start a career in energy efficiency.
Local Colorado Renewable Energy Groups
- The Colorado Cleantech Industries Association (CCIA) is a statewide organization dedicated to promoting Colorado's cleantech industry that aims to provide advocacy, public policy leadership, development and education in the cleantech sector. The organization provides state-specific research and data and has led multiple initiatives in Colorado.
- Colorado Solar Energy Industries Association (COSEIA) is the local chapter of the national Solar Energy Industries Association. If you like what SEIA does and want to get involved on a more local level, COSEIA is the organization for you.