Filter news by

Renewable energy industry news roundup: July 12-July 19, 2015

Renewable energy industry news roundup: July 12-July 19, 2015

This week in renewable energy news, U.S. states continue to expand focus on wind energy and solar energy, and Amazon announces its biggest renewable energy project toward its goal of achieving 100 percent renewable energy usage.

IBM’s machine-learning crystal ball can foresee renewable energy availability

By predicting the weather, the technology can then forecast how much energy will be generated by solar- and wind-powered sources.

Read the full article

Amazon announces largest renewable energy project to date

Amazon Web Services has announced its largest renewable energy project to date, a 208 MW wind farm that will supply current and future Amazon cloud data centers. AWS announced in November that it intends to achieve 100 percent renewable energy usage for its global infrastructure, and in April 2015 AWS announced that approximately 25 percent of the power consumed by its global infrastructure was already being generated from renewable energy sources, and that it intends to increase that figure to 40 percent by the end of 2016.

Read the full article

Galapagos airport evolves to renewable energy only

The Galapagos islands are now believed to host the only airport in the world working exclusively on wind and solar energy.

Read the full article

Bloomington boosting investment in renewable energy

The city of Bloomington, Illinois is amending its municipal electricity aggregation contract to include a 100 percent renewable energy target.

Read the full article

Alabama Power proposes up to 500 megawatts in renewable energy projects, including solar

Alabama Power petitioned the Alabama Public Service Commission last month for permission to install up to 500 megawatts of renewable energy projects, including solar power. The company is seeking a way to provide renewable energy for corporate customers who desire it in their energy portfolio or have renewable energy mandates to meet.

Read the full article

The solar industry stands divided over California’s 50% renewable energy target

These days, it’s rare to see rooftop solar installers and investor-owned utilities aligned on state policy issues. But in California, the two industry groups are both lobbying for behind-the-meter solar to count toward the state’s expanded renewable portfolio standard.

Read the full article

Renewable energy grant program invests back into community

Each month renewable energy program participants make donations on their electric bills to support grants awarded for renewable energy projects in Naperville and across Illinois. When the program does not receive grant applications for city projects, Naperville's Department of Public Utilities-Electric buys credits for wind and solar energy within Illinois instead. Approximately 71 percent of the participants are paying an extra $5 a month on their electric bill to go toward the renewable energy grants. The remaining 29 percent of participants are paying $10 or more.

Read the full article

Want more from Ecotech Institute? Follow us on Facebook and Twitter!