What are wind energy certifications?

What are wind energy certifications?

Understanding all the different certifications needed in wind energy can be confusing. There are subtle and not-so-subtle differences among the certifications. Walter Christmas, wind energy technology instructor at Ecotech Institute, recently helped sort out the differences in an article for Wind Systems magazine.

He details the various wind energy OSHA certifications, with the help of Steve Fleming, Technical Rescue Systems (TRS) owner and Master Instructor.

Wind Energy Certifications

Some of the certifications Walter highlights in his article include:

  • Authorized Person: OSHA recognizes this cert level as identifying a site visitor who will not be expected nor authorized to climb a turbine, but still has been instructed as to the general site hazards.
  • Authorized Climber: The authorized climber cert describes someone trained in the proper use of a personal fall arrest system, but is not qualified to perform a rescue.
  • Authorized Climber/Rescuer: Training provided for an authorized climber/rescuer includes at least one rescue technique, but perhaps a better name for this cert is "Authorized Climber/Rescue Assistant".
  • Competent Climber/Rescuer: This cert is considered to be more of a supervisor to the entry-level, authorized climber and is appropriate for someone with a high level of familiarity with the work environment.
  • Qualified Climber/Rescuer: The qualified climber has all of the skills of a competent climber/rescuer, but also has the technical knowledge to make design decisions such as appropriate anchor points.

To read the full article, which includes information on recertification cycles and OSHA compliance click here.

Want more insights on the qualifications needed for a job in wind energy, in addition to other updates from Ecotech Institute? Follow us on Facebook and join the conversation on Twitter!